Wednesday, October 19, 2005

What the hell....

A good friend told me about this neat little concept he had heard of called "National Novel Writing Month." And well, I've thought about it a little bit. 50k in a month sounds daunting. Almost 2k words a day. But like I said above, what the hell.

I am working on an adventure module for an old and out-of-print edition of D&D to have posted at an online community I visit. That makes me a geek by the way. Given that odd little self-inlficted project, and the many ideas (quality not guaranteed) that tumble out of my brain and vanish into the ether, I think I will take up his unvoiced challenge and try - no, actually do and not just try (thanks Yoda for the correction) - and write a novel of dubious quality to just show myself more than anyone else that it can be done.

So Ray, I'm with you man, but the question really is are there 50k worth of words to write about a man from Nantucket who likes to carry a bucket?

5 Comments:

Blogger Ray Nolan said...

Congrats.
Sucker!

1:14 PM  
Blogger hijacked frequencies said...

i've had to admit that 50,000 words scares the shit out of me. good luck.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Grampa said...

#1. Yeeaaah! You're not dead.

#2. Which D&D version?

#3. Good luck with the novel

#4. If I ever leave my Island, I want to play, I have a great magic user named Pyro Joe.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Phil M. said...

Its the RC classic (basic) D&D version (I am such a nerd). Play the newer stuff, love the older stuff.

We'll keep a chair free and an extra set of dice on hand in case "joe" can ever make it into a game.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Grampa said...

I still own that version. The one in the red box, right. Or are you talking about the really, really old one, in the pamphlets.

I was a fan of that for the frist few years, but then I grew into the Advanced.

Never played 2nd edition, but the third I played a few times. I can't really find much time for it anymore, and I moved 5,000 miles away from the guy I would play with sporadically (at best). It would be good to do that again if I could scrape out some time.

If I'm ever going to be back that way (my Dad lives in PA), I'll contact you.

Thanks for the invite.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home