Wednesday, June 01, 2005

There Was a Rumble

I was finally in a bar room brawl. 32 years old and I finally managed to get into that cliche'd hollywood fight scene - sort of.

Here's how the night went down.

I was just sitting there on the couch working at perfecting my Zen of the Three-Toed Sloth (its my own special martial arts style). Suddenly - The phone rings. Its Ray. He pipes in with, "We're at Jimmy's throwing back a few, wanna join?"

I'm like sure, all in, be right there.

Their out on the balcony lounging pitching down a few beers. I join. I don't drink so I get the standard, Coke on the Rocks.

Time passes on, we have heated little arguments/debates over stupid shit. Standard night. Then Brent goes on a tirade over semantics and after rambling and bitching, and arguing incoherrently (cause he is definitely wasted at this point). Things drop quickly because he completely dismisses any and all comments I make claiming that I am ignorant with no clue of history and can't possibly have his level of understanding (guessing this goes back to his comp-sci degree or something).

As an aside, I am something of a history buff, studied a good bit of it in school, watched the programs, read books, I'm not the end all scholar, but I have some knowledge of what I am talking about.

Well, his dismissal of me, my facts, my opinions, and his progressively worse stares-grunts-shrugs began to really piss me off. At some point after his argument about what we took from Mexico in the War of 1812 and how we occupied Iraq in the Gulf War he made one too many comments/shrugs/snears/ combo.

I took his lighter and dropped it in his glass of beer.

At that moment I knew that I had went too far. I had broken the rule of Archangel David and started the fight. I waited for reaction.

He grabbed up his glass of bear and threw it on me. I don't drink and so I hate the smell of stale beer. I sprang to my feet and grabbed his picture of beer and flung it at him. (had he thrown my coke on me I would have been cool, but the beer fanned the fire).

He jumps up and grabs at my throat, called it a Ranger Choke Hold. It hurt, I could breath but it hurt.

I also knew that Brent could probably kick my ass, but I could definitely hurt him too, I am not a small person and am stronger than most realize. But I chose not to. no shoving him backwards, no ball punches, no elbow to the kidneys. Just tried to hold onto his grip and ask him to calm down. Ray was trying to too. Was a fun time.

Both soaked in beer, trying to mend our twisted glasses. It was all cool.

Ray n' Tanya suggested breaking up for the evening. Nah. Brent and I were cool. Hell, afterwards we were like fucking Fonzie we were so damn cool.

But I did tell Brent that if anyone asked, we were fighting over Tanya.

Night went on, it was fun. Got to see a nice girl whose going to be a kick ass she-cop some day.

Sometimes life is good.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ray Nolan said...

That was scary as hell.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Phil M. said...

Can't even fathom what yours and Tanya's view of it was.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Radiohumper said...

I think even people who do drink don't care for eau de stale beer.

3:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting, a male is so easily excused for his drunken episodes, but a woman banished forever, no matter what her worthwhile qualities...

8:29 PM  
Blogger Ray Nolan said...

Dawn?

10:41 PM  
Blogger Grampa said...

Just for the sake of my own curiosity, did we take anything from mexico in the war of 1812?

I know that Florida became ours sometime around there, but we took that from Spain.

We didn't start taking shit from Mexico until the 1830's, as I recall.

5:03 AM  
Blogger Phil M. said...

Texas jumped away from them in the 1832. We fought a little war with them in 1846. In exchange for their capital back they gave us our modern-day west.

The junior officers of this war would hone their craft to use against each other a few years down the road. Got to love the playground of carnage.

12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home